Disclaimer

NOTE: I cannot be held accountable for any syntax or grammatical errors present in below posts. I went to medical school and have subsequently forgotten 90% of how to correctly read/write in English. Thank you for your understanding :)

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

End of the (race)year thoughts

Yes, my Board Exam is less than one week away and I should be STUDYING, but frankly I'm sick and tired of it and would much rather ramble on for a while than look at another damn book. 

Sunday was my last race of the year, a short reverse sprint tri here on base.  I'll post the race report tomorrow after I swing by the gym and get the official results ;)  I started this season with pretty low goals, namely wanting to finish all the races on my schedule.  Having come off of knee surgery last year and missing the entire season, I wasn't sure how I would hold up under all the training.   As a result, I would complain on an almost daily basis about HOW MUCH my coach (Little J) had on my schedule for the day.  She took it all in stride and let me slide whenever I felt like it--for better or worse.  My last few races have all turned out well , just barely making it into the top 1/3 of my age group each time.   At the start of this year that would have made me ecstatic!  Now that I've made it through the season with knees intact, I'm wanting more. 

Can I be faster?  I think the answer is a resounding YES!  So what's it gonna take?  After much internal struggle and thought, it all comes back to one simple answer-listen to your coach!  Yes, I HATE morning workouts with a PASSION bordering on insanity, but I'm not the only one. Get your butt up and DO IT.  And making my workouts a priority EVERYDAY instead of an option if I get all my other life stuff done is something I've got to do. 

Next up on the agenda is the Vegas half-marathon in December, followed by the Arizona marathon in January.  No goal for the half, but I want to run a 3:30 for the full.  That would be a PR by 35 minutes.  There, its in writing, no backing down now.  Time to get my ass in gear and get at it!

Little J, get your running shoes on, cause when you get back, we are hitting the pavement (at 5AM)  :)

OK, back to studying...

2 comments:

  1. yes- just getting up every morning really helped me improve. and- like I told Joy- I think that 3:30 is very realistic and doable. it is a good goal for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Jeremy go! Best of luck and training in your marathon and half marathon goals coming up! :)

    ReplyDelete