Disclaimer

NOTE: I cannot be held accountable for any syntax or grammatical errors present in below posts. I went to medical school and have subsequently forgotten 90% of how to correctly read/write in English. Thank you for your understanding :)

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pre Race Thoughts

Joy and I made the trip to Denver yesterday for my race tomorrow, the Harvest Moon Triathlon.  This is a half-Ironman distance race, and my last tune up before IM Arizona in 10 short weeks!  It's also only the third time I've raced this distance, and my first attempt at this distance in almost a year and a half.

The swim will be in the Aurora Reservoir, so I do expect to post a slightly better time than my last half IM, Gulf Coast.  That swim was VERY choppy, I threw up twice DURING the swim, and managed a :42ish swim.

We drove the bike course this morning, and it does have a lot of gently rolling hills, but the total elevation gain is only 1500 feet.

I say only...before we moved to New Mexico, 1500 feet of climbing would have terrified me; now, any ride from my house >2hours long has at least 1500 feet of climbing!!  Still, this is approximately 5 times the amount of climbing as Gulf Coast.  So I'm not expecting any improvement on my bike time, although I feel I'm a much stronger cyclist than I was a year ago. 

The run course is flat and again, I feel I'm a stronger runner than last year, so this is where I expect(hope) to see the most improvement.

I'm not terribly nervous about this race, which is unusual for me.  One, all the locals are freakishly fast here.  Two, after checking out the slowtwitch forum, it turns out they had no bike marshals last year, and drafting packs were noticed by several people.  Obviously I won't be drafting; so I really don't care where I finish in relation to anyone else; I'm just looking at it more as a good test to see where I am in preparation for Arizona.

OK, time to head to IKEA to pick up a piece of furniture, then SUSHI time!  :)  I'll post a race report in a couple of days, peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment